Confirmation at St Vincent - Dartford
Smith joined the community of St Vincent, Dartford to Confirm their
young people on Saturday 22nd November 2014
Archbishop Peter has written a Pastoral Letter which was
read in our parishes on the First Sunday of Advent, 30th November 2014
Please pray for the repose of the soul of
Deacon John Roberts KHS
who died on the 21st November 2014
His Funeral Mass will beh held on
11th December 2014 at 11.00am
St. Teresa's - Ashford
May he rest in peace
The Canterbury Project
On 22 November 2014, the Parish of St. Thomas Canterbury Catholic
Church, Canterbury came together with friends and visitors from
different parts of the world, to celebrate Our Canterbury Project,
entitled: Burgate Our Canterbury Home with an adaptation of a Vespers
of St. Cecelia by candlelight.
The project created by Fr. Valentine Erhahon celebrates Canterbury
through the lens of a parish church with the written word and art. It
is a project that celebrates how the parish church brings people
together as one family under the love of God and invites them to
celebrate their gifts and talent for the building up of the church, in
a sprit of co-responsibility.
Fr. Valentine mentioned at the introduction “it was a celebration of us
as a pilgrim people in a Church we can consider our family and in
Canterbury we can call our home.”
During the Vespers, extracts from the living history based on the
interviews of nine parishioners born between 1933 to 2014 written by
Liam Faulkner was read. And the 6ft by 5ft oil on canvas painting of
the nine parishioners and a dog by the artist Ohimai Stephen Areguamen,
was unveiled by Canon Anthony Charlton and Mr. Julian Brazier, MP of
Canterbury and Whitstable.
In his homily during the Vespers, Canon Anthony Charlton mentioned that
in Canterbury there are lot of saints, and St. Thomas’ have even got a
Saints chapel with a mural of all the saints in Canterbury. The
painting, entitled Burgate our Canterbury Home, represents the
diversity of the parish community and the nine parishioners who have
been painted, represents saints in the making.
The painting is temporarily exhibited in the Saint’s chapel in the
All those who worked on the project did so voluntarily, and the artist
offer the painting as a free gift to St. Thomas’.
It is hoped that the painting will serve as a link between the church
and the local council. For example, the painting could be used to raise
money to support charities in Canterbury who look after homeless people
who must sleep rough.
Clergy Appointments and News
Announced November 2014
Father Alan Burgess, currently Parochial Administrator at St Michael
and All Angels, Farnborough has been appointed as Parish Priest at St
Michael and All Angels, Farnborough on 23rd November 2014.
Following the forthcoming departure of the Carmelite
Friars from the Parish of Walworth, the Archbishop has appointed Father
Thomas Udie as the New Parish Priest.
Father Mushtaq Azad a priest from the Diocese of Argyll
and the Isles has been appointed to the parish of Surrey Docks as
Parochial Administrator on 17th November 2014.
Father Philip Seed has been appointed as the new Dean of Thanet Deanery
to succeed Canon Luke Smith.
Canon Luke Smith has been appointed as the new Dean of Maidstone
Deanery to succeed Canon John Clark.
Father Peter Edwards has been appointed as the new Dean of Kingston
Deanery to succeed Canon Anthony Charlton
The date of the Dean's appointments is from 28th October
2014 for the remained of the term of office which expires on 31st
Father Hubert Miranda was formally
incardinated into the Diocese on 27th October 2014 and continues as
Parish Priest of the Parish of St. Michael, Pollards Hill.
the recent Provincial Chapter, Father Charles Serignat OFM Cap has been
appointed as the new Parish Priest of Our Lady of the Angels, Erith. He
succeeds Father Gordon Pesterfield OFM Cap who is moving to the
community in Oxford on 17th November 2014.
Br Zbigniew Fryska OFM Cap will also be leaving the Erith Community and
has been transferred to Oxford.
James Moran O.Carm has been appointed as the new Chaplain at Coloma
Court Nursing Home, West Wickham as of 9th October 2014.
Father Pietro Celotto cs - The Church of the Holy Redeemer, Italian
Mission - has has returned to Italy and his place as Parish Priest has
been taken by Father Francesco Buttazzo cs.
Father Francesco has been part of the community at Brixton since 2010.
Father Renato Zilio has been transferred to France and his place has
been taken by Father Walter Hernan Diaz cs.
Father Walter is from Argentina and was ordained on 15th March 2014. He
is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and English.
Father Patrick Feyisetan from the Diocese of Abeokuta, Nigeria, has
been appointed as Parochial Administrator of the Parish of Our Lady of
the Assumption, Links Road on the 24th October 2014
Patrick has been looking after the parish since February when he
stepped in to look after the parish while Fr Francis Reid was ill.
The Sisters of Mercy celebrate
175 years of service in Bermondsey
On the Feast of the
Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 21st November 2014 the Sisters
of Mercy gathered from all over the world to attend a Mass in The
Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St George - Southwark to
give thanks for their 175 years of service in Bermondsey.
The Chief Celebrant was Archbishop Peter Smith who was joined
Archbishop Emeritus Michael Bowen, Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus Howard
Trip, Father Paul Mason, Episcopal Vicar for Kent, Father Jim Hurley,
Episcopal Vicar for Religious and many more clergy
from Southwark and other dioceses. The homily was preached by the
Priest of Dockhead Bermondsey, Canon Alan McLean
In 1831 a new priest,
Father Peter Butler was sent to Dockhead Bermondsey. At that
time Bermondsey was a place of warehouses and factories filled with
goods from all over the world, yet local and migrant workers lived in
desperate poverty and overcrowded and dirty housing.
A small number of local women helped Father Peter in his ministry to
the poor of the parish. They lived very simply in a former
chapel where they ran a school during the day and wore a uniform of a
black dress ,white veil and cap. Father Peter knew they
wanted to enter religious life so in 1838 he and Bishop Thomas
Griffiths wrote to Catherine McAuley, the foundress of a new religious
order in Ireland, the Sisters of Mercy.
Father Peter asked Augustus Welby Pugin, who had completed the new
Dockhead church in 1835, to build a suitable convent and on 19th
November 1839 Catherine McAuley and a group of Irish sisters arrived in
Bermondsey. The Convent of Mercy soon became known as a place where
anyone in trouble, whether Catholic or not, could find help.
In 1854 some of the Sisters of Mercy from Bermondsey joined Florence
Nightingale at the converted barracks hospital in Scutari and nursed
the wounded and dying of the Crimean War. In 1897 four
sisters who had survived were awarded the Royal Red Cross medal by
Queen Victoria for their outstanding efforts
The Sisters of Mercy had to rebuild their convent after the Second
World War as, along with most of Bermondsey, it was destroyed by the
Blitz. In December 1940 the church was destroyed and on March
1945 a V2 rocket wrecked the presbytery and convent killing three
Despite the improvements in the lives of the local people the Sisters
of Mercy continue to work with vulnerable people on the margins of
society, the homeless, the lonely and the sick.
Guild of Church Musicians
Archbishop Peter Smith was
invited to join the Guild of Church of Musicians on Friday 20th of
November 2014 for Evensong and to present their awards and honours for
The Guild of Church Musicians was founded in 1888 as the Church Choir
Guild, and was incorporated in 1905 to become known as the Incorporated
Guild of Church Musicians, with the foundation patrons being Archbishop
Frederick Temple and Sir George Elvey, organist of St George's Chapel,
Windsor. Until 1988 it was mainly Anglican, but in that Centenary Year
the Archbishop of Canterbury invited the Archbishop of Westminster to
become a joint patron, so it has gradually become fully
interdenominational being open to all branches of the Christian Church.
The Guild is in essence
a fellowship of those who sincerely desire to
offer the best in music to the service of the church both amateur and
professional musicians being unified in a common ideal. It exists to
encourage all musicians within the church, whether amateur or
professional to foster the highest attainable standards of music in the
worship of Almighty God.
The recipients were:
Certificate in Church Music
David George Flatt
Archbishop's Award in
Church in Church Music
in Church Music
The Reverend Canon Perran Gay
Sacred Heart Catholic School - Camberwell
On the 18th November 2014 Archbishop Peter Smith along with clergy from
the Deanery of Camberwell join the community of Sacred Heart School to
celebrate the opening of their new school premises by
celebrating a Mass of Thanksgiving
The old school building for Sacred Heart School was over 50
years old and unsuitable for 21st century teaching and learning so it
was rebuilt to ensure the school comminity have outstanding facilities
to support the outstanding educational experience that is delivered.
The new school building for Sacred Heart Catholic Schiool has new
learning spaces and sports facilities including a sports hall, drama
studio, dining area, multi-use games area and places for students to
socialise during breaks and advanced ICT facilities to support teaching
The day of celebrations concluded with a social gathering in the
rebuilt school hall where thanks were expressed and gifts distributed
Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy
Archbishop Peter Smith
was invited to join the Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy and
celebrate Mass with them on 16th November 2014
Diamond Jubilee of St Ambrose - Wye
On Friday 14th November
Archbishop Peter Smith celebrated Mass with the communityof St Ambrose
Wye on the 60th Anniversary of the opening of the
John Jolliffe was awarded a Papal Award, The Bene Merenti, in honour of
and dedicated Service to St Ambrose in Wye and the Parish of St
Dedication Mass at Chessington and Hook
On Saturday 8th November
2014 Archbishop Peter Smith celebrated a special Mass of Dedication for
the Church building and Altar for the service of God at St. Catherine
of Siena - Chessington and Hook
This ceremony completes the work of Fr. Augustine Queally and many of
our older parishioners who have worked for this day for over 50 years
The Archbishop lit
the Consecration Candles around the church having
anointed the walls of with the Oil of Chrism
Two papal blessings were
presented to two families who have worked tirelessly for the Parish for
the past 50 years and were actively involved in the initial fund
campaign 50 years ago. The consecration Mass was a very significant day
The celebrations continued in the parish hall
Kind acknowlement for
some photos go to the Facebook Page of
St. Catherine of Siena Catholic Church
News from the Dean of the Cathedral
''On Friday Nov 14, it was
announced that I have been appointed as the full-time RC National
Ecumenical Officer and Secretary of the Department of Dialogue and
Unity for the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales – a bit of a
mouthful and a big task!
As a result, I will be leaving St George’s at
the end of December in order to be in post for the Week of Prayer for
Christian Unity in January. Archbishop Peter has named Fr Richard Hearn
as my successor as Dean.
At present, Fr Richard is a prison chaplain at
Elmley Prison on the Isle of Sheppey. Because of his prison commitments
he will not be able to take up his new post until the beginning of
March 2015 and so Fr Philip Smith has been appointed by the Archbishop
as Acting Dean from January 1 2015.''
The South Bank Christian Churches
Remembrance Day Service at St George’s Cathedral
The South Bank Christian
Churches (formerly called Churches Together in
North Lambeth and District) organised a very successful Remembrance Day
Service at St George’s Cathedral on Tuesday 11 November.
All the local
schools in Southwark and Lambeth were invited to send a group of 50
people comprising either Year 6 students (from primary schools) or Year
7 students (from secondary schools) along with a group of teachers,
governors and parents. 17 of the 21 schools responded enthusiastically
and so the Cathedral was filled with over 900 people.
of the students had been asked to make a poppy and to bring it along
with them to the service as a symbol of the ‘peace project’ they had
followed at school.
The service was a mixture of the old and new. Three large screens
showed some of the footage of the First World War and of the human
tragedy involved in the war that was meant to end all wars. The poem
‘In Flanders fields’ was read and the Salvation Army provided a cornet
player to play the last post and reveille.
The students poppies were collected and then used to form a visual
display of the word PEACE as a symbol of the commitment made by the
congregation to learn the lessons of war and to declare peace.
It was planned that the poppies would be laid in the grounds of the
Imperial War Museum and that there would be a football tournament among
the schools to recall the Christmas truce during the first Christmas of
the First World War. However, a suspect device found in the grounds of
the Imperial War Museum forced the cancellation of this part of the
planned programme and yet was a reminder of the reality that not all
people are intent on peace.
The suspect device was made safe by a controlled explosion and the
organisers were able to lay the poppies in the Tibetan peace garden in
the grounds of the Imperial War Museum.
New Parish Priest
Our Lady of the Rosary - Blackfen
On Sunday 9th November 2014 Bishop Patrick Lunch inducted Father Steven
Fisher as pariah priest of Our Lady of the Rosary - Blackfen
Father Fisher was joined
in the celebration by the Dean of Bexley,
Father James Spencer and clergy from around the Deanery
The celebration contiuned in the Parish Hall
A Specialist Technology and Sports Academy
Manor Drive North
Surrey KT3 5PE
Are looking for a
Required: September 2015
Salary range: L34 - L39 (starting grade point dependent upon
Applications are invited
the post of Headteacher of Richard Challoner School, to succeed the
current Head, who is retiring at the end of August after over 20 years
of strong leadership and high achievement.
Richard Challoner School is a highly successful Catholic
comprehensive school for boys aged 11-18 and girls aged 16-18. The
school is a DfE designated Academy, with Specialisms in Technology and
Sports and is graded by Ofsted as being ‘outstanding’ and as Grade 1 by
the Diocesan S48 Inspection.
Richard Challoner School has been serving the local Catholic
community since 1959 and is heavily oversubscribed, with 4 applicants
for each place available. The school continues to grow and now has 980
students on roll, including 260 in the Sixth Form.
At the heart of the school is its distinctive Catholic ethos,
which in turn is supported by the excellent relationships which exist
between the staff and the students. A shared vision for the school is
supported by the staff, students, parents and governors, which has
created a very strong caring and cohesive community, based on the
Christian values of love, respect and compassion for others.
We are seeking to appoint an inspirational Headteacher; a highly
effective, enthusiastic and forward thinking leader who will continue
to build on the successes of our school. The Headteacher is expected to
provide professional leadership and practical management for the school
to continue its success, ensuring high quality education which realises
the potential of all pupils.
You must be a practising Catholic, but need not be working in a
We welcome informal visits to the school – to make arrangements, please
contact Marion Silvester, PA to Head: firstname.lastname@example.org
Challoner School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare
and safety of children and to equality of opportunity. Appointment to
this post will be subject to an enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure
and Barring Service.
Closing date for application is
ordinary things extraordinarily well”
(Bishop Richard Challoner)
Tuesday 2nd December 2014 (midday)
Memories of a Parish in Wartime brought back to life
SUNDAY was particularly poignant this year for St Anselm’s Church,
Tooting Bec where new war memorial plaques have been blessed, recalling
names close to being forgotten forever.
mark the occasion, Parish Priest Father William Hebborn presided at a
Requiem Mass and dedicated the two brass plaques commemorating both
The Last Post was performed by parishioner Justin Finn and
names of the dead were read out by Nick Dunne and John Pontifex who had
carried out the research that led to the discovery of the parish war
Nick and John’s work has led to the
publication of a book titled ‘A Parish in Wartime: Remembering the
fallen from two World War.’ The 150-page paperback details the lives of
the war dead. Some were killed on the field of battle, others
were shot down over
enemy skies and still more were victims of air bombardments over London.
The book tells the story of young Albert
Austin, recently married to Sara Read, killed at the Somme in 1916.
There is Peter Keast, a qualified vet, who died off the coast of Norway
in December 1941, reportedly after coming to the aid of his Sergeant,
and the de Beauchamp Collenette brothers, both airmen, shot down in the
heat of the battle in 1942 and 1943 respectively.
Another account describes how six-year-old Francis Carroll, and his
mother, Winifred, lost their lives in January 1943 when a V-1 bomb
landed on their home.
Many of the stories have
been told by surviving siblings – now in their 90s – who were contacted
as part of the research into the book. A
number of relatives were able to come to the launch of ‘A Parish in
Wartime’ held at St Anselm’s on Saturday – the eve of Remembrance
Sunday. Brendan Kearns compered the evening
of remembrance complete with music from the period led by Catherine
Pontifex – sister of John.
An exhibition of
wartime artefacts – old newspapers, footage from the period, ammunition
boxes and other memorabilia – was assembled by a team led by Tom
Gately, St Anselm’s parish catechetical co-ordinator. Among the items
were a serviceman’s cap and gloves belonging to Flight
Officer Daniel Corry, killed in September 1944, who lived in Tooting
The family still live in the parish and his nephew, Stephen Marsh,
brought along the items for display.
The programme of activities was
organised by Martine Mercer, parish administrator.
BBC London carried the story of the war
memorials in broadcasts on Sunday evening.
Father William Hebborn, who came up with the idea of the war memorial,
said the book, the plaques and the programme of activities realise a
dream he first conceived when he became parish priest at St Anselm’s
back in 1997. He said: “I felt compelled to act when I discovered that
the church had no memorial to the parish war dead. The trouble
has been that we have very few parish records so carrying
out the research has been very difficult. Over
time however, fragments of evidence have been pieced together and at
last we have been able to produce memorial plaques erected in the
church to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the
First World War.”
Meantime, research into the
St Anselm’s war dead continues. Those with information about other
people eligible for inclusion on the plaques are invited to contact the
of ‘A Parish in Wartime’ are on sale from St Anselm’s priced £5 each.
Postage and packing is £1.75 for one copy. Orders for two or more
copies are £2.50 postage and packing.
To place your order,
contact The Parish Office – ‘A Parish in Wartime’, St Anselm’s Church,
9 Tooting Bec Road, London SW17 8BS. Tel. 020 8672 2179. Cheques are
payable to St Anselm’s Church. Email Martine Mercer, Parish
Administrator at email@example.com
Pilgrimage to St George's Chapel Windsor and
Eton College organised by the
Southwark Cathedrals Unity Forum
Members of congregations
of both Southwark Cathedrals joined together with Canon John O'Toole -
Dean of St George's Cathedral, to visit St George's
chapel, where they followed medieval pilgrims to the short-lived shrine
of Henry VI (founder of Eton College) and saw the modest last resting
place of Henry VIII, whose Dissolution of the Monasteries and church
reforms had such lasting effect on the lives of Christians in England
that they are still experienced today.
St George's Chapel
They were shown round Eton College chapel, dedicated to our Lady of the
Assumption, by the chaplain and vergers, where there is daily Evensong
Our Lady of Sorrows
The final call was to the church of Our Lady of Sorrows, built in Eton
in 1905 for RC pupils. The numbers are now too large and Mass is said
in the lower chapel of the school. Since 2012 the Church has been owned
by the College but is run as an RC parish church
The pilgrims were both fascinated and horrified to learn that initially
there had been such fears in Eton that the new building was to contain
no windows and no rainwater was to reach the ground, for fear that
people and land might be 'contaminated' by contact with Roman
Explore Your Archive is running from
The Archives and Records Association (UK and Ireland) and The National
Archives have come together to raise awareness of archives, their value
to society and the impact they have on individual lives
of Southwark Archives
The Diocesan Archive is located in Archbishop’s House, Southwark, next
door to St George’s Cathedral. The Archive holds the episcopal and
administrative records of the Archdiocese of Southwark from the
foundation of the Diocese in 1850.
The Archive has three main purposes:
- To preserve the records of the Southwark Archdiocese
- To support and be a resource to the central administration,
parishes and agencies of the Diocese
- To make the archives of the Diocese available to
Jenny Delves (working hours: Monday-Tuesdays)
Phone: 020 7928 5592
Address: RC Archdiocese of Southwark, Archbishop's House,
150 St George's Road,
London SE1 6HX
Anniversary of the Dedication of St George's Cathedral
Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St George, designed by Augustus W.N.
Pugin, was dedicated on 7th November 1894, with the ceremony taking
four and a quarter hours.
Although the Cathedral was opened in 1848 it was not consecrated until
1894 when all the debts had been paid. The original Cathedral was
destroyed by an incendiary bomb in 1941 and rebuilt in 1958.
On Friday 7th November 2014, Canon Edward Perera celebrated Mass in the
Cathedral to mark the 120th anniversary. He was joined by some of the
Canons of the diocese.
Around the Cathedral the Consecration Cross Candles were lit as a sign
of the building being set apart and made holy for worship, having been
anointed with the Oil of Chrism.
The day of its dedication is celebrated as a Feast each year throughout
Golden Jubilee Celebration
St. Michael and All Angels - Farnborough
On Sunday 2nd November 2014 Archbishop Peter joined the community
of St. Michael and All Angels in Farnborough for the 50th anniversay of
the opening of the parish church.
Archbishop Peter con celebrated Mass with Fathers Alan Burgess, Paul
Fennessy and Bryan Wells
The celebration continued in the marquee in the car park, especially
erected for the occassion, with a fork food buffet enjoyed by all
the parish community