Gathering in Liverpool
Congress in Liverpool
dates for Southwark:
- Tuesday 2nd October: 7.30
– 9.00 pm at West Malling. OR
- Saturday 6th October: 10am
– 12 noon at CCF Tooting Bec.
10th November: Discerning
Mission & Legacy – Wimbledon 10am – 1pm with Fr Timothy Radcliffe OP. Everyone!
2019 – we shall have a Diocesan
Discernment Day to consider next steps.
Dr Mark Nash
Rev. Canon Alan McLean email@example.com
The bishops of England and Wales held a National Eucharistic
Pilgrimage and Congress in Liverpool this year.
Eucharistic Congresses are gatherings of clergy,religious and laity
which promote an awareness of the central place of the Eucharist in the
life and mission of the Church. The last International Eucharistic
Congress in England was held in 1908.
On Friday 7th September, there was a Theological Symposium, with
workshops for parish catechists, (especially for those involved in
First Holy Communion programs), RE teachers, Hospital and Prison
Chaplains, Seminary Communities and Extraordinary Ministers.
The morning featured three Keynote addresses:
The Scriptural Context - given by Canon Mervyn Tower
The Eucharist in the life of the Church - given by Canon David Oakley
Teaching the Eucharist - given by Sr Margaret Atkins OSA
afternoon was a series of presentaions, which allowed delegates to
choose three talks out of a set of nine to attend.
On Saturday 8th September, in the ACC Liverpool Echo Areana, there was a six hour stage led event
with two key note addresses, various presentations with music, drama,
prayer and adoration. Southwark has an initial allocation of 570 delegate places.
invited speaker for the event is Bishop Robert Barron. He is well
known as an author, theologian and evangelist, particularly
for his Word on Fire ministry. He has served as an auxiliary
bishop of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles since September 2015.
On Sunday 9th September the Congress Masses was celebrated at
Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral followed by an outdoor procession.
There were seven themes for the Congress:
4. Ecclesiology – the Church
three Keynote addresses from the Friday and the two Keynote talks from
Saturday were broadcast live and are also available as recordings.
Visit the website of the Bishops' Conference for full listings:
Congress Programme for the Gathering
Youth Congress Why are we having a Congress for youth?
- Youth leaders, chaplains, priests asked what provision there was for young people at the Eucharistic Congress?
will offer an age appropriate participation for young adults as has
been the custom at Eucharistic Congresses in other parts of the world.
this year of the Synod on “Youth, Faith and Vocation Discernment,” it
is a great opportunity the involve young people in the national
- It gives a unique opportunity for youth delegates to focus on Eucharistic catechesis and prayer.
Find out more from the organisers here
- The cost for the main Congress was prohibitive for many young people, schools and parish youth groups.
- Supporting the Congress on a local basis -
the Adoremus Eucharist Congress is taking place in Liverpool between
7th - 9th September 2018 it is hoped that clergy and laity will support
this occasion through prayer within their own area. Below is a
list of deaneries, parishes and communities who will be
joining the Congress on a local basis within Southwark Diocese:
ST GEORGE'S CATHEDRAL
- Holy Hour and Confession
Saturday 8th September: 11.15 am - 12.15 pm
SOUTH EAST AREA
ABBEY WOOD St Benet's RC Church
31 Abbey Grove, London SE2 9EU
- Perpetual Adoration takes place on Monday to Friday between 9 am - 6 pm
BIGGIN HILL St Theresa of the Child Jesus RC Church
Haig Road, Biggin Hill TN16 3LJ
- Adoration and Benediction Sunday 9th September 2018: 4 pm - 5 pm
CRAYFORD St. Mary of the Crays---
111, Old Road, Crayford, DA1 4DN
- Adoration after 10.00am Mass - concluding with
Benediction at 07.00pm
KENNINGTON PARK: St Wilfred’s RC Church
Lorrimore Road, London SE17 3LZ
- Friday 7th September 2018: 10.20 am – 11 am
- Saturday 8th September 2018: 10.20 am - 11 am
THAMESMEAD CENTRAL St Paul's RC Church
52 Bertrand Way, London SE28 8LN
- Thursday 6th of September 2018: 6.30pm -
- Friday 7th of September 2018:10am -
12pm and 6.30pm - 8pm
- Saturday 8th of September 2018: 7pm -
- Sunday 9th of September 2018: 12.30pm -
THAMESMEAD: Isis Prison and Young Offenders Institution*
Adoration and Benediction:
On Sunday 9th September 2018, Prisoners who practise the Catholic
Faith will join with the Eucharistic Congress by participating in Adoration
and Benediction in the Prison at 9.30 am and 2.30 pm.
* Services at the prison are not open to the general public
SOUTH WEST AREA
CARSHALTON BEECHES: St Margaret’s RC Church
Fir Tree Grove, Carshalton SM5 4NG
3 days of silent prayer in support of the congress and praying
for the needs of our parish communities and of the world.
- Friday 7th September 2018: 10.30 am – 6.00 pm
- Saturday 8th September 2018: 10.30 am – 6.00 pm
- Sunday 9th September 2018: 12 noon – 4.00 pm finishing with Benediction
CROYDON (WEST) Our Lady of Reparation RC Church
Wellesley Road, Croydon CR0 2AR
On Friday 7th September The Blessed Sacrament is reposed until Mass at 12.10 pm and Adoration follows thereafter.
- Mass and Adoration Friday 7th September 2018 at 10 am
- Confessions Friday 7th September 2018: 11 am - 2 pm
- Mass, Adoration and Devotions Saturday 8th September: 10 am
- Confessions Saturday 8th September: 10.30 am - 11.30 am
MORDEN St Teresa of the Child Jesus RC Church
250 Bishopsford Road, Morden SM4 6BZ
- Adoration Friday 7th September 2018: 10 am - 9 pm
OLD COULSDON St Mary Help of Christians RC Church
372 Couldson Road, Old Coulsdon Surrey CR5 1EF
- Mass and Adoration Friday 7th September 2018: 8 pm - Midnight
- Mass and Adoration Saturday 8th September 2018: 10 am - 11.30 am
- Holy Half Hour: prayers and Benediction Sunday 9th September 2018: 4 pm
DOVER: St. Paul’s RC Church
103 Maison Dieu Road, Dover Kent, CT16 1RU
- Dover Deanery Holy Hour to pray for the success of The Congress Sunday 2nd September 2018: 4 pm - 5 pm
GRAVESEND: St John the Evangelist RC Church
192 Parrock Street, Gravesend DA12 1EN
- Friday 7th Adoration: 8am-9am, 10am to 6pm finishing with Benediction
- Saturday 8th Adoration: 8am-9.30am, 10.30am to 5pm finishing with Benediction
- Sunday 9th Adoration: 1pm to 4pm finishing with Benediction
MAIDSTONE St Francis' RC Church
126 Week Street, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1RH
*Those passing the Church are invited to light a candle and spend time there.
- Adoration with *'Lightfever'. Friday 7th September 2018: 8.30 pm
- Night Prayer Friday 7th September at 10.45 pm
- Adoration Saturday 8th September 2018: 10.30 am - 2.30 pm
MAIDSTONE SOUTH Holy Family RC Church
Bicknor Road, Maidstone Kent ME15 9PS
Exposition and Adoration will take place immediately after all masses throughout the week of the Eucharistic Congress
- Weekday Mass (except Wednesdays) 9.30 am; on Wednesday: 7.30 pm
- Saturday Mass 6 pm
- Sunday Mass 10.30 am
MEOPHAM St Paul's RC Church
Wrotham Road, Meopham DA13
- Mass and Rosary (Sorrowful Mysteries) Friday 7th September 2018: 10 am followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament until 1 pm and then 2 - 5pm
- Mass and Rosary (Joyful Mysteries) Saturday 8th September 2018: 10 am
followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament until 1 pm and then 2 - 5 pm
- Mass and Rosary (first four Luminous Mysteries) Sunday 9th Sept. 2018: 10 am followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
until 1 pm and from 2 - 4 pm
- Solemn Benediction of the Blessed
Sacrament Sunday 9th September :4 pm
To Include readings from Scripture, Prayers of Intercession, the
Prayer for England, the Diocesan Prayer, the Litany of the Saints and the
recitation of the fifth Luminous Mystery of the Rosary.
ROCHESTER St John Fisher RC Church
Maidstone Road, Rochester ME1
- Service of the Word, Adoration & Benediction: Sunday 8th September 2018: 10 am
Holy Trinity RC Church, High Street,
Otford, TN14 5PH
- Adoration Friday 7th September 2018: 11:00 am – 12:00 noon
St Thomas of Canterbury RC Church, Granville
Road, Sevenoaks, TN13 1ER
- Adoration Saturday 8th September 2018: 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Adoration Sunday 9th September 2018: 4.30 pm - 5.30 pm
TUNBRIDGE WELLS St Augustine RC Church
Crescent Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 2LY
Vigil for the
weekend of the Adoremus Congress
- Mass Friday 7th September 2018: 7.30 pm
- Vigil Mass Saturday 8th September 2018: 5.30 pm
church will be open overnight and there will be Rosary, prayers
and readings throughout that time.
WESTERHAM St John the Baptist RC Church
Crowsnest, Hosey Hill, TN16 1TB
- Holy Hour Thursday 6th September 2018: 8 pm
- Adoration Friday 7th September 2018: 10 am – 12 noon
- Mass, Adoration and Benediction Friday 7th September 2018: 6 pm
WHITSTABLE Our Lady Immaculate RC Church
Northwood Road, Whitstable CT5 2DE
- Mass and Adoration: Friday 7th September 2018: 10 am - 11 am then Adoration between 7 pm - 8pm
- Mass and Adoration Saturday 8th September 2018: 11 am - 12 noon then Adoration at 5.30 pm before 6 pm Mass
- Adoration and Benediction Sunday 9th September 2018: 4 pm - 5pm
Attending the Congress
Anyone interested in attending please discuss with your parish clergy or
headteacher. Schools have difficulties as the Congress clashes with the
first week of term but if a teacher or RE leader is unable to be
released, a Foundation Governor could also be a very valuable delegate
assist in the Spirotual preparation of for the Pilgrimage and Congress
the Diocese has had Prayer Cards produced and distributed to Parishes.
It is hoped that this prayer will be used by many people during the months ahead.
Cards have also been produced for pupils in Catholic School in the Diocese.
Primary School Card:
(Click on image to open a larger version)
Secondary School Card:
(Click on image to open a larger version)
An Information evening was held at St Teresa’s Parish Centre, Morden, on Tuesday
7th November at 7.30 to 9.00pm. More details to follow.
The next preparation events:
- There are two
meetings planned specifically for delegates to prepare for the Congress. Please try and
come to ONE of them.
Tuesday 26th June. 7.30 – 9.00pm
Venue: Christ the
King Sixth Form College
Grove, Lewisham, London SE13 5GE.
Tuesday 3rd July, 7.30 – 9.00pm
Our Lady of Reparation, West Croydon.
70 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CRO 2AR .
Please also invite your priest or deacon to come with you to the preparation session – even if they are not travelling to Liverpool.
The Congress concerns us all.
Please let Coral Davis at the Centre for Catholic Formation know
which venue you plan to attend. We need to know numbers for the host venues.
Archdiocese of Liverpool will be offering an extensive Parallel
Programme as a way of offering this great gift of Adoremus to the City,
wider Church and community. It will include discussions, lectures,
prayer, processions, walking tours and cultural events which are
designed to complement the main programme.
Please find here a link to full schedule of events. Booking is necessary in advance. Please enrol at http://jumpdp/adoremus2018
Fr John Mulligan has prepared a document with all the above dates and some additional information. This can be downloaded by clicking HERE
Click here for The Archdiocese of Southwark's Aims and Guildlines
Click here for the handout
important event in the life of the Church in England and Wales needs
support at many levels. Please keep "Adoremus", those involved in
the preparation, and those intneding on joining this even in your