A brief history
In 1850, Pope Pius IX restored the Catholic hierarchy in England and Wales and created thirteen dioceses.
Our Pastoral Leaders from 1850 to today
The first bishop of the new diocese of Southwark was the Right Rev. Thomas Grant, D.D., vice-rector of the English College, Rome, who was consecrated on the 6th July 1851.
Southwark Diocesan Crest
The Diocesan Crest was originally created under Archbishop Peter Smith and designed to represent the Diocese of Southwark, based on heraldic principles