Stella Maris is seeking to appoint a Regional Port Chaplain for the Kent/Medway area.
Title of post: Regional Port Chaplain Kent/Medway
Responsible to: Senior Area Port Chaplain
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Responsible for: Stella Maris Ship Visitors and other local volunteers
Main Purpose of the Role
The Stella Maris (SM) Regional Port Chaplain will promote the vision, mission, and values of SM in caring for all seafarers and fishers by helping to meet their pastoral and spiritual needs. He/she will recruit, train and support SM staff and volunteers for the port and will maintain good relations with local parishes and the local diocese. He/she will work ecumenically with members of other Christian maritime societies with whom SM works.
The role will also require interactions and communication with various staff members at head office, the Senior Area Port Chaplain and other members of the team, as well as communicating and building relationships with local Catholic parishes. You may also be asked to attend various meetings or gatherings where you would be asked to give a presentation on the work of Stella Maris.
It will be vitally important to be flexible whilst working within this role and environment using as much effective time management as possible, but remaining creative and using initiative when necessary, in certain situations and circumstances.
The role of chaplain can often be a lonely and sometimes isolated role that may require some out.
- Roman Catholic
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Able to work independently and without supervision
- Be able to use own initiative
- Happy to manage and be responsible for a small team of volunteers
- Good interpersonal/social skills
- Able to interact and be comfortable around a diverse range of people
- Willing to work ecumenically (with those of other faiths and those of no faith)
- Be competent in basic IT and using Word, Excel, Teams and databases
- Knowledge of the geographical area
- Good time management
Salary: £30,000 per annum.
Hours of work: 40 hours per week
Location: Ports and harbours in the Kent/Medway area as well as some working from home
Leave arrangements: 28 days per annum plus bank and statutory holidays.
Pension: Stella Maris operates a pension scheme (up to 6% matching contributions).
Full details, and terms and conditions of employment will be issued if an offer of employment is made.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send the following to email@example.com
- An up-to-date CV outlining your employment history, academic and professional qualifications, and contact details.
- A supporting statement (no more than 2 x A4 pages) demonstrating how you meet the criteria outlined in the person specification and why you are interested in becoming the Regional Port Chaplain for Kent/Medway.
- Closing date for applications: 1200 hours on Friday 5th January 2024
- Shortlisting: 8 – 10 January 2024
- Candidates notified of shortlisting results: Thursday 11th January 2024
- 1st Round of Interviews in Sheerness: Monday 15th January 2024
- 2nd Round of Interviews (if required): Wednesday 17th January 2024
- Candidates notified of outcome: Friday 19th January 2024